Marketing Essentials: Open Homes
Opening up your home for prospective buyers to inspect involves nominating and promoting a day and time for people to come through your property.
Open homes are an excellent marketing tactic because:
- They open your property to a wide pool of buyers including people who happen to drive past on the day also have the opportunity to inspect
- The date and time is pre-determined making it easier for buyers to schedule their attendance
- If many buyers attend, it creates a sense of competition and urgency to secure a property new to the market
- Buyers can appraise the home at their leisure and
- You can prepare your home beautifully for the inspection.
In order to ensure that your home will be well displayed during an open home, it is crucial to find out how your selected agent manages an open home. Attend ‘undercover’ as a prospective buyer as this will give you an excellent insight into the way an agent treats prospective buyers and represents sellers. However, since agents may have different open homes scheduled, keep in mind that a well-attended open house can be a hectic time for them.
What to look for during an open house:
- Does the agent register details from all people who attend?
- How attentive are they to each person that enters and leaves?
- Are they ‘present’ during the inspection, engaging with people as opposed to reading and making phone calls?
- When you engage them, do they take an interest in you and what you are looking for?
An exceptional agent skilfully communicates with potential buyers, ascertains their interest levels, what they are looking for and, where possible, requests the buyer’s contact details and determines their next point of contact.